Carson had his 4 year old check up this week. He is doing great! Still in the 3% for height and weight, but looks good. I was little worried with his size, but the doctor said he is growing proportionally and staying nicely in line with the 3% growth curve. I think part of the reason he seems so small to me is Lillian is NOT small. He is still 1lb bigger, but I am not sure he will keep this 1lb advantage for long. He is very smart and healthy!
Now comes the part that led me to the title. I knew Carson would be getting at least one shot, but wasn’t sure what else he needed. They recommended we finish his immunizations and then he will be all ready for school. So I agreed, let’s just get it out of the way. He knew he was probably going to need a shot and has always done fairly well in the past. Lillian also got her 2nd H1N1 vaccine. He started getting himself worked up the minute they left to go get the shots. I had Lillian go first thinking Carson might be a handful. Well he didn’t let me down! I turned around to get him up on the table and he became very limp. As I tried to pick him up he started kicking and screaming. SERIOUSLY? My kids have never done this and I now realize how lucky I am. Corban has always been great about shots! I tried to take a moment and talk to him, which was pointless because he wasn’t listening at all. He had already made up his mind to throw a fit. Well I literally pinned him to the table while he was screaming at the top of his lungs NO NO NO NO NO. They hadn’t even done anything yet. So we both left the office beat red in the face and an emotional wreck. All I can say is I am glad we are done for a few years. Well I am also glad in this case that he is small because he wasn’t too hard to hold down!
Poor Lillian now has an image of me holding down her brother to get a shot. Do you think this will affect her future trips to the doctor? Oh well, I know many of you moms have been through the same thing and probably way more often than what I have experienced. I am glad I only have had one instance of this and pray I don’t have anymore.
I see this daily since I work in peds. Some kids you can talk to and others we just have to hold down and do the deed whether its a shot or looking in ears. Sometimes reasoning with them is just not an option.
ReplyDeleteIt drives me crazy when Hayden turns into a noodle when you try to pick her up! The little stinkers! Glad you made it through the appt. Have a great weekend! :)
ReplyDeleteI threw a fit once when my mom took me to the doctor's for a shot. For the next one she sent me with my dad. Not a peep that time...
ReplyDelete